One of the very few reasons I had any respect for my mother when I was thirteen was because she would reach into the sink with her bare hands - bare hands - and pick up that lethal gunk and drop it into the garbage. To top that, I saw her reach into the wet garbage bag and fish around in there looking for a lost teaspoon. Bare hands - a kind of mad courage. ~Robert Fulghum
A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie. ~Tenneva Jordan
so this past couple of weeks has been quite hard. bella has had the croup. i don' t know if i have even spelled this write, but the croup is kind of scary and hard. and it takes a long time to get over it. our water heater went out, again. my house is destroyed. but i have had quite some time to think about mothers. we found out bella is gonna be a big sister this summer! we are lucky. one thing for certain is i feel it is an honor to be a mother. a true honor. i know that i am lucky because i know SO MANY ladies who would be just as honored to be able to be pregnant. to be able to adopt. i admire such women. they deserve to have 17 babies if they choose.
i also know that among women there are prego wounds. who was the sickest. who had the hardest labor. i am not one of those women. i do not think i am weak by an means that i feel like i am going to die everytime i am going to vomit, or that i think i may never stop vomiting. i with great joy get an epidural when i have babies. not because i think i am weak or a sissy. but because that is what i do, and i am not ashamed. do i experience having a baby with an epidural. yes i do. we all have our opinons.
but i know that i love mothers, mothers who love being a mother. mothers who want to be mothers so badly, i am grateful for such examples around me. a quote "we have to decide what is important and then move along at a pace that is comfortable for us. we have to develop the maturity to stop trying to prove anything, to be what we are........we have a great responsibility to our children. find joy in them. don't overschedule them or yourself. you may not be able to take them on exotic vacations. it doesn't matter. when the day dawns bright and sunny, take an excursion to the canyon or park. when it's cloudy and wet, read a book together or make something good to eat. give them time to explore and learn abot the feel of grass and the wiggliness of worms...."
-marjorie hinckley
and with this i am going to lay down...and hopefully not vomit.
14 comments:
Congrats! How exciting!!
Dave Letterman said that you know illnesses are bad when they're preceded by the. You can have a cold, but when you get the croup - watch out.
HOLY MOLY!!! You are having baby number 2!!! I'm so happy for you! Bella is so cute.. she looks just like you! I'm sorry you are not feeling the best.. I wish I could drive right up and clean your house and fix you a meal.. well maybe not you, but Brian and Bella, because that was the last thing I wanted to do when I was pregnant and sick! YEAH, sorry about all the sickness, but YEAH, you are having a baby! When is it due? I am probably going to go call you! So we'll talk later
Congrats on the new baby-that is so awesome. I too think that being a mom is one of the most important jobs ever-the next step is to stop feeling like you are never good enough. My mom too would stick her hand anywhere me..not so much if my kids even puke I start to dry heave, but I am working on it.
I have seen YOU reach into the sink gunk. You are no sissy. I don't even dare to do that. I love the quote by Marjorie Hinckley--I want to be like her. I wish I could send you some tortillas--could you keep them down?
i'm glad you are at least well enough to blog ... i've misses you! i love your thoughts on motherhood. and the quotes you've shared in this post .... gunk-digging is not for the weak and YOU are definitely not a weak woman! let me know when you're ready to smell some pine-sol .... I'll be over anytime day or night!
and in case I didn't get out just how excited I was for Leatham baby #2 .... well we all can't wait to meet him/her & Wesley is hoping it's a boy!
Hooray for being a Mom! Hooray for our mothers! And Hooray for our darling babies! I will tell you what though, being a mom has been the hardest thing I have EVER done. I run a multi-million dollar company, manage 30+ employees, and negotiate million dollar business deals everyday, and that is EASY compared to going home and being mom. I love it though!!! (notice I only have 1 kid and he's almost 4!)
OH and your PREGGOS!!! Congrats. Hopefully it will be a little Brian Jr.!
I was wondering when you were going to post about number TWO!! I can't wait, and I already told Jon that I'd be headed up there ALONE for this new little debut. I hope you start to feel better soon, and you are in no way wimpy or weak...I also love that quote from Sis Hinckley. The babes are worth every struggle we have to go through to get them here...whether we have our own, or having to adopt.
Love you!
How fun and exciting to have another baby!! I too love being a mommy and find honor in it. I am soo sorry that poor Bella had the croup and that you are fighting the morning sickness crude! All of our kids had croup right before Christmas. I even had to take Cooper to the ER at 2:30 in the morning so he could breathe. Not fun especially when Chris was gone. Fun! Fun! Fun! for you with the new baby. Congrats!
you and bryan produce such lovely creatures, i can't wait to see what baby numero dos will dish up. i am so happy for you danielle. come see me before you birth the child. i will treat you royally and let you sleep in my bed.
get well soon bella button.
Congrats Dani! That is so exciting! I love those quotes you included too. So perfect for motherhood.
Congratulations Dani! How fun :) Bella will be a great big sister and any baby would be lucky to have you as a mom! We are excited for all of you!
Dani, the thing that Linda failed to mention, is that she read your blog and totally missed the fact that you are going to be a mommy of 2! I had to tell her to read it again just so she would believe me. All kidding aside~CONGRATULATIONS LADY~ I am so happy for you. I hope that you find an awesome DR up there. I hope that you feel better really soon. I can't be a very good example for you, but there are women out there that the nausea does stop! Just a little FYI, Zofran really is an awesome drug if you can get your insurance to cover it. I love you and hope that all is well.
congratulations, leathams! i'm so excited for you guys. ps...miss bella looks smashing in those pjs!
Post a Comment